Top CURRICULUM VITAE OF Dr. S. BALUCAHMY
1. Present Position: Associate Professor
2. Educational Qualification : M.A., (Sociology) Ph.D., (Panchayat Raj System)
3. Special Training undergone
- Communication Techniques and Wasteland Development organized by the C.P.R. Environmental Education Centre, Chennai held at GRU, Gandhigram from 11.03.1991 to 14.03.1991.
- Orientation Training Programme organized by the Dept. of ACE & E, GRU, Gandhigram from 03.02.1992 to 09.02.1992.
- One day Orientation Training Programme organized by the Central Social Welfare Board, New Delhi on 27.12.1996.
- Universities Talk AIDS – Phase II Orientation Training of NSS Programme Officers held at Bharathidasan University from 27.08.2001 to 29.08.2001 sponsored by the Government of India, Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, NSS Regional Centre, Chennai.
- A two day training programme to serve as resource persons in the TOT (Training of Trainers) for a National level programme for setting up a State Training Resource Centre (STRC) funded by NACO at the Gandhigram Institute of Rural Health and Family Welfare Trust, Gandhigram on 30.01.2009 and 31.01.2009.
- A 10 day NSS Camp organized at Kotturavarampatti Village from 17.09.1995 to 26.09.1995.
- A 10 day NSS Special Camp organized at Murugampatti Village from 21.12.1996 to 31.12.1996.
- Conducted Value Education and Supplementary Education for School Children from 10.01.1999 to 15.01.1999 in Reddiarchatram block Villages.
- Conducted Continuing Education programme at Koolammpatti and Samthuvapuram, Villages near Sempatti on 15.12.2001 and 16.12.2001.
- World Women’s Day celebrated on 08.03.2001 at Chatrapatti Village.
- World Literacy Day celebrations were jointly organized by the NSS unit and the Dept. of ACE & E, GRU, Gandhigram, on 14.09.2001 at Dindigul. About 300 SHG members participated in the procession.
- NSS Unit, GRU, Gandhigram organized Cycle Rally programme to mark the 126th Gandhijayanthi celebrations in order to create awareness among rural masses on New Panchayati Raj System from GRU to Annaipatti on 02.10.2001.
- A week long personality Development camps were organized at Authoor block Villages from 11.10.2001 to 17.10.2001 with the help of NSS Volunteers, NSS unit, GRU, Gandhigram.
- Blood Donation Campaign jointly organized by the NSS unit, GRU, Gandhigram and Rotary Club, Dindigul on 10.02.2002. About 100 students donated blood. Donators from GRU, Gandhigram and College students of Dindigul District.
- A ten day NSS Special Camp organsied at Pappanampatti, Vellaiyampatti and Kondamanaickenpatti Villages from 23.03.2002 to 31.03.2002. 100 NSS Volunteers participated.
- Organized Awareness Generation training Programme to the Women field functionaries of NGOs in Tamil Nadu sponsored by State Social Welfare Board, Chennai from 15.04.2004 to 24.04.2004, GRU, Gandhigram.
- Animal Husbandry and diapetic camp were jointly organized by the World vision India, Queen City, Rotary Club, Dindigul, KVK and the Dept. of ACE & E at Periakarattupatti Village, Reddiarchatram block from 28.05.2004 to 29.05.2004. 300 animals examined and supplied medicines.
- A 10 day domestic electrical appliances repairing training programme were conducted at Thandalkaranpatti Village from 07.06.2005 to 16.06.2005. 25 rural men youth attended the programme.
- A two day workshop on Evaluation methods of Continuing Education programme on 09.03.2006 and 10.03.2006 organized by the Dept. of ACE & E, GRU, Gandhigram.
- A five day summer holiday camps were jointly organized by the Dept. of ACE & E, GRU, Gandhigram and the KKSR organization, Vattaparai from 24.05.2006 to 28.05.2006. 100 boys and girls attended the camp.
- A Two day Training Programme on evolving strategies for marketing of SHG products to the members of SHG jointly organized by the Dept. of ACE & E and KKSR, Vattaparai, GRU, Gandhigram on 16.02.2007 to17.02.2007.
- A five day summer holiday camp were jointly organized by the Department of ACE & E, GRU Gandhigram and KKSR organization, Vattaparai to the school students from 23.05.2007 to 27.05.2007. 200 boys and girls participated in the camp.
- Attended orientation training programme to the NIOS Coordinator from 14.12.2007 to 15.12.2007 at Regional Centre, Kochi on overview of ECCE (Early Childhood Care and Education programme) for the year 2007-2008.
- Nehru Yuva Kendra sangatham, Tamil Nadu and Pondichery and Information Development and Resource Agency for Nehru Yuva Kendras has jointly organized Nehru Yuva sangathan one month training programme (5 batches) from 5.07.2009 to 22.08.2009, Gandhigram Rural University, Gandhigram.
4. Teaching and Research Experience
- Worked as Research Investigator in the SIDA Aided Social Forestry and Energy Projects from 21.11.1981 to 31.12.1987 attached to the Centre for Research, Extension and Integrated Rural Development, Gandhigram Rural University, Gandhigram.
- Worked as Research Assistant in the Information Development and Resource Agency for NYK (IDARA) of 4 Southern States, Gandhigram Rural University, Gandhigram from 11.09.1988 to 31.05.1989.
- Worked as Programme Officer in the NSS Unit, Gandhigram Rural University, Gandhigram from 01.10.1994 to 01.10.2002.
- Served as Board of Studies member in the Extension Education Department., GRU, Gandhigram from 24.09.1998 to 24.09.2001.
- Served as Board of Studies member in the Extension Education Department, GRU, Gandhigram from 22.04.2003 to 22.04.2006.
- Served as Board of Studies member in the Applied Research Department, GRU, Gandhigram from 02.03.2005 to 07.03.2008.
- Served as Coordinator in the National Institute of Open Schooling Programme, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India, New Delhi. 01.03.2007 to 31.05.2009, Gandhigram Rural University, Gandhigram.
5. Research Guidance
No. of Candidates
a. Ph.D awarded 01
b. M.Phil awarded 10
c. Ph.D under guidance 05
d. M.Phil under guidance 01
e. M.A awarded 10
6. Projects Undertaken
Name of the Projects
Name of the Funding Agency
VikasVahini Volunteers Programme
01.01.1992 to 01.01.1995
Evaluation of Awareness Generation Programme in Tamil Nadu
Central Social Welfare Board, New Delhi
01.05.2005 to 31.10.2005
Gender Issues in Industrial Sector – A study of Industries in Coimbatore District
Indian Council of Social Science Research, New Delhi
01.06.2008 to 31.05.2009
An Assessment of Status of Women Labourers in Industrial Sector in Dindigul and Coimbatore Districts
University Grant Commission – Major Research Project, New Delhi.
01.06.2008 to 31.05.2010
7. List of Publications
1. Evaluation of All India National Integration
camp, Gandhigram- A Report, 1988
2. Suya Uthavikulukal oru Thiravukool- Grama Pengal Valarchiyul, Thittam, Malar
34 Ithsl, December, 2002.
3. Kulanthai Tholilarkalum sattamum, Grama Rajyam, Vol-22 , 2003
4. Pengalian Avala Neelai, Grama Rajyam, Vol.23, 2004.
5. Perception of Mother’s on pre-school education, Journal of Extension and
Research, Vol.No.1, July 2002.
6. Economic Empowerment of women –A case study, Journal of Extension and
Research, Vol.vi, No.1 and 2, January 2004.
7. Role of Education for Empowerment of Women, Journal of Extension and Research
, January, 2007
8. A study of child labour working in match/fire work industries in Sivakasi,
Virudhunagar, District, ISDA Journal 2010, Vol.20,No.2 at 3 PP.No.163-181, ISSN
9. A status of women labourers in textiles and Non-Textiles Industries in
Coimbatore and Dindigul Districts- A comparative study, ISDA Journal
1. Panchayat Raj Institutions, Mittal Publications, New
2. Female Agricultural Labour in the present Scenario, Kalpaz
publications, New Delhi,2007
3. Sharing of Employment Resources for a Peaceful Societal
order, Dept. of ACE & E, GRU, Gandhigram, 2007
4. Impact of Literacy on Socio – Economic Development, Dept.
of ACE & E, GRU, Gandhigram, 2007
5. National Policy and Welfare Schemes for the disabled aged,
Aravalli Books, International (p) Ltd, W-30, Okhla Industrial Area Phase 11, New
6. Empowerment of women, Anmol Publications Pvt. Ltd.
Daryaganj New Delhi, May 2010
7. Women workers in Textile industry problems and prospects,
Mittal publication (P) Ltd,New Delhi, 2010.
- Perception of Mother’s on pre-school education-An overview, Journal of Extension and Research, Vol-No-1, July, 2002
- A Study of Panchayati Raj Institutions as instrument of participatory Democracy for Development, Journal of Extension and Research, Vol-IV. No.1 & 2 Jan-2002
- Economic Empowerment of Women – A Case Study, Journal of Extension and Research, Vol- VI.No-1&2 January, 2004
- National Policy and Welfare Schemes for the disabled aged, Aravalli
Books, International (p) Ltd, W-30, Okhla Industrial Area Phase 11, New
- Female Agricultural Labour in the present Scenario, Kalpaz publications, New Delhi: 110052
- Sharing of Employment Resources for a Peaceful Societal order, Dept. of ACE & E, GRU, Gandhigram
- Impact of Literacy on Socio – Economic Development, Dept. of ACE & E, GRU, Gandhigram
- A Critical Analysis of Caste Conflict in Veriyappur Village, Oddanchatram Block, Dept. of ACE & E, GRU, Gandhigram
8. Short Term Courses / Symposium / Conferences attended
- Participated the National Integration Camp, sponsored by the Ministry of Human Resource Development and the Dept. of Youth Affairs, Govt. of India organized by the IDARA, GRU, Gandhigram from 04.06.1988 to 12.06.1988.
- Participated 3 day Regional Workshop on Youth Development organized by the Dept. of Youth Affairs and Sports, Govt. of India, New Delhi from 20.12.1988 to 22.12.1988.
- Participated the State Level Youth Festival organized by the Information Development and Resource Agency (IDARA) for NYK, GRU, Gandhigram from 22.02.1989 to 25.02.1989.
- Participated 3 day Workshop on Promoting Voluntary effort for effective implementation of Welfare and Development Programmes organized by the Tamil Nadu Social Welfare Board, Chennai held at GRU, Gandhigram from 26.03.1990 to 29.03.1990.
- Participated one day Workshop on Environmental Awareness Raising organized by the C.P.R Environmental Education Centre, Madras held at GRU, Gandhigram from 07.05.1990 to 08.05.1990.
- Participated workshop on Environmental Education and Prevention of Pollution at Madras city organized by the Environmental Society, Adayar, Chennai from 18.11.1991 to 21.11.1991.
- Participated 23 day Orientation Course for NSS Programme Officers of Colleges/ Universities organized by the Avinashilingam Education Trust Institutions, Coimbatore from 17.04.1995 to 30.04.1995.
- Participated 2 day Regional Seminar on Indicators of Rural Development organized by the Dept. of Applied Research and the Dept. of Rural Development, GRU, Gandhgiram from 09.03.1996 to 10.03.1996.
- Participated 2 day workshop on the Use of Computers in Social Science Research conducted by the Dept. of Sociology, M. K. University on 28.03.1996 to 29.03.1996.
- Participated 23 day Refresher Course organized by the Academic Staff College, Madras from 09.10.1996 to 31.10.1996.
- Participated Research Methodology Course Sponsored by the University Grants Commission organized by the Dept. of Sociology, GRU, Gandhigram from 14.05.1997 to 17.05.1997.
- Participated one day Regional Seminar on Extension Strategies in Rural Industries and Management on 05.10.1997 sponsored by the UGC, New Delhi.
- Participated one day UGC Sponsored Seminar on Corruption in Social Life organized by the Dept .of Applied Research, GRU, Gandhigram on 02.02.1998.
- Participated Refresher course for college and University Teachers organized by the Dept. of Rural Industries and Management, GRU, Gandhigram from 21.10.1998 to 10.11.1998.
- Participated 3 day National Seminar on Psycho Social Catelistic problems and Strategies for the Welfare of the Aged in Rural India, Sponsored by the Ministry of Social Welfare, Govt. of India organized by the Dept. of Applied Research, GRU, Gandhigram from 11.03.1998 to 13.03.1998.
- Participated Refresher course for College and University Teachers organized by the Dept. of Gandhian Thought and Peace Science, GRU, Gandhigram from 15.06.1999 to 05.07.1999.
- Participated Refresher Course for NSS Programme Officers from 27.09.2002 to 01.10.2002 Organized by the Avinashilingam Education Trust Institutions, Coimbatore.
- Participated the 51st All India Adult Education Conference held at Gandhigram Rural University, Gandhigram from 27.12.2002 to 29.12.2002 organized by the Indian Adult Education Association, New Delhi.
- Participated three day Workshop on ‘Selp Help Groups’ and their Governance organized by the Dept. of Rural Development from 03.11.2003 to 05.11.2003.
- Participated National Workshop jointly organized by the Dept. of Adult Continuing Education and Extension, University of Pune, Indian University Association for Continuing Education, New Delhi and CASP, Pune from 14.03.2003 to 16.03.2003 at Pune.
- Participated the 53rd All India Adult Education Conference on International Literacy Decay: Challenges and Strategies at Mahatma Gandhi Kashi Vidya Peesh, Varanasi from 23.09.2004 to 26.09.2004.
- Participated 6 day course on Programmes and Strategies for Empowerment of Women organized by the National Institute of Rural Development, NIRD, Hyderabad from 09.08.2004 to 14.08.2004.
- Participated three day workshop on Annual Status of Education organized by the KALVI, Chennai from 15.12.2005 to 16.12.2005, Gopalapuram, Chennai.
- Participated the State Level Seminar on Networking Strategies to promote Continuing Education Programme organized by the State resource Centre, Chennai and the Dept. of Adult Continuing Education and Extension, GRU, Gandhigram on 11.01.2006 and 12.01.2006.
- Participated the Content and Script Writing Workshop organized by the Dept. of Adult Continuing Education and Extension, GRU, Gandhigram from 19.01.2006 to 21.01.2006.
- Participated NGOs meet at District Collector Office, Dindigul organized by the State Social Welfare Board, Chennai for reviewing the past, present and the future course of activities on 27.07.2007 and 28.07.2007. 200 NGO representatives, Chairman of the State Social Welfare Board Chennai and District Social Welfare Officer Dindiugl were participated in the review meeting.
- Presented Paper on Human Rights: Issues and Challenges, UGC sponsored State Level Seminar organized by the Dept. of Rural Development Science, Arul Anandar College, Karumathur from 24.03.2003 to 25.03.2003.
- Presented Paper on Grassroots Economics – Sharing of employment resources for a peaceful Societal order in the International Workshop on Economy of Permanence and Dynamics of a Sharing Community organized by the Dept. of Adult Continuing Education and Extension, GRU, Gandhigram from 25.07.2005 to 26.07.2005.
- Presented paper in the National Seminar on National Policy and Welfare Schemes for the disabled Aged organized by the Institute for Development Research and Alternatives, Tirupathi from 16.10.2005 to 17.10.2005.
- Presented paper on Female Agricultural Labour in the Present Scenario, UGC Sponsored State Level Seminar organized by the Dept. of Applied Research, GRU, Gandhigram on 15.02.2006.
- Presented paper in the National Seminar on A Critical Analysis of Caste Conflict in Veriyappur Village, Oddanchatram block organized by the Dept. of Political Science, Annamalai University, Chidambaram from 05.04.2006 to 07.04.2006.
- Paper Presented in the Regional Seminar on Adult Continuing Education: Changing Scenario organized by the Dept. of ACE & E, GRU, Gandhigram from 30.11.2006 to 01.12.2006.
- Paper Presented in the State Level Seminar on Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrom organized by the Dept. of Adult Continuing Education and Extension, GRU, Gandhigram from 16.12.2006 to 17.12.2006.
- Paper Presented on the Impact of Industrialization, Modernization and Urbanization on Women in the National Seminar Sponsored by the ICSSR, organized by the Dept. of Sociology, GRU, Gandhigram from 24.01.2007 to 25.01.2007.
- Presented Paper on Women Education and Development in the 55th All India Adult Continuing Education Association and the National Commission for women, New Delhi from 21.02.2007 to 23.02.2007 at Prajapita Brahmakumar’s Ishwariya Vishwa Vidyalaya, Abu Road, Rajasthan.
- Presented paper on Impact of Literacy in Socio - Economic Development in the National Seminar organized by the Dept. of Adult Continuing Education and Extension, S.V. University, Tirupathy on 23.03.2007 and 24.03.2007.
- Paper Presented in the National Seminar Cum Workshop on Quality improvement of the staff of Adult Continuing Education and Extension programmes organized by the Centre for Adult Continuing Education and Extension, Algappa University, Karaikudi on 30.3.2007 and 31.03.2007.
- Presented Paper on Learning Disability in the National Seminar on Educating Children with Learning Difficulties organized by the Special Education Centre / Disability Unit, Alagappa University, Karaikudi from 11.04.2008 to 12.04.2008.
- Paper Presented on Dalit Rights: Issues and Perspectives in the National Workshop on Globalization and Human Rights organized by the Dept. of Economics, GRU, Gandhigram on 27.03.2008.
- Attended Trekking/adventurous programme at Kurankani, Theni organized by District Nerhu Yuva Kendra on 16.7.2009
- Attended employment Mela for unemployed youth organized by Roop Trust Dindigul on 17.7.2009.
- Attended South Zone Youth Coordinators revive meeting and action plan for the year 2009 – 2010 organized by Tamil Nadu and Puthucherry NYK South Zone, Youth hostel, Madurai on 29.06.2009
- Attended NYK advisory committee meeting on 28.07.2009, Collectorate, Madurai
- Attended Mid-Term review committee meeting at UGC, New Delhi, 26.10.2009 for MRP.
- Attended action plan meeting for the year 2009-2010 organized by Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, New Delhi, Nehry Yova Kendra Sankeetha from 27.10.2009 to 30.10.2009.
9. Short Term Courses / Symposium / Conferences organized
- Organized 10 day N.S.S Special Camp at Gandhi Ashram, Anaimalai, Pollachi from 07.10.1994 to 31.10.1994.
- Organized Voter’s Awareness Campaign at Nilkottai and Batlagundu blocks from 01.10.1994 to 31.10.1994.
- Organized Peace Bus Programme from Gandhigram to Madras with a Mission for the Promotion of Communal Harmony and highlighting issues on Panchayati Raj System from 20.11.1994 to 30.11.1994.
- Organized International Volunteers Day observed on 04.12.1994.
- A 10 day N.S.S Special Camp organized at Karatalaganpatti Village for Construction of Work shed, Laying of link road from village to NH7and tree plantations from 23.12.1994 to 31.12.1994.
- Organized Legal Literacy Programme to the rural women on 23.03.1995 and 24.03.1995, GRU, Gandhigram.
- Organized World Literacy day Celebrations at Kannapatti Higher Secondary School on 14.09.1995.
- Organized World Literacy day Celebration at Kannivadi Higher Secondary School on 24.09.1995.
- Organised Cycle Rally to mark the 126th Gandhiji birthday on 02.10.1995, from Gandhigram to Authoor.
- Organized Cycle Rally from Gandhigram to Dindigul collectorate to involve rural masses on New Panchyati Raj System on 12.10.1995.
- Organized Crèche Teachers Training Programme to the Balwadi teachers from 02.01.1997 to 01.02.1997 Sponsored by the Central Social Welfare, Board, New Delhi.
- Organized one month Workers Education Training Programme for the Rural Youth Workers, sponsored by the Ministry of Labour, Govt. of India from 03.05.1997 to 03.06.1997.
- Organized 10 day Awareness Generation Training Programme to the Women field functionaries of Voluntary Organizations, in Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry Sponsored by the State Social Welfare Board, Chennai from 10.04.2000 to 21.04.2000.
- Organized three day Yoga Training Programme to the UG and PG Students of GRU, Gandhigram from 10.05.2000 to 13.05.2000.
- A 10 day NSS Special Camp organized at GRU Campus from 15.10.2000 to 24.10.2000.
- Organized 4 day (special Summer Camp) Village Placement Programme for PG and UG Students of GRU from 21.06.2000 to 24.06.2000 at Charapatti Village.
- Organized 10 day NSS Special Camp at Sarvodaya Colony, GRU, Gandhgiram from 17.02.2001 to 26.02.2001.
- Organized Bio-diversity Training Programme to the Vikas Volunteer Vahini farmers Club members at Velankannipuram Village on 15.03.2001 to 18.03.2001 with the help of M.S.Swaminathan Foundation, Chennai.
- Organized World Environment Day at Alamarathupatti on 05.06.2001.
- Organized World Environment day and World AIDS day on 01.12.2001 and 17.12.2001 at Narashinagapuram and V.Kallupatti Villages.
- Organized Village Placement programme (Special summer camps) for UG and PG students of GRU from 12.06.2000 to 15.06.2000 and 15.06.2001 to 18.06.2001at Kotturavarampatti and S.Vadipatti Villages.
- Organized two day Orientation training on Continuing Education Programme to the UG and PG Students from 05.03.2002 to 06.03.2002.
- Organized Sanitary napkin Skill Oriented Training to the SHG members at GRU, Gandhigram on 10.01.2002.
- Organized Orientation Training Programme on Continuing Education Programme to the NSS Volunteers of G.T.N Arts College, Dindigul on 27.01.2002.
- Organized women empowerment and personality Development Training Programme to the SHG members from 26.02.2002 to 27.02.2002, GRU, Gandhgiram. About 200 women participated.
- Organized AIDS awareness programme to the SHG’s and Youth club members on 10.08.2002 at GRU. About 250 both men and women participated.
- Organized one day Cycle Rally Programme from GRU to Annaipatti highlighting issues on Rain water harvesting among people on 15.09.2002.
- Organized domestic electrical appliances repairing training programme to the rural women at Ethiloodu Village from 24.05.2004 to 30.05.2004. 20 women attended in the programme.
- Organized Awareness training programme to the women field functionaries of NGOs in Tamil Nadu funded by the State Social Welfare Board, Chennai from 03.08.2005 to 12.08.2005, GRU, Gandhigram .
- Organized one month Entrepreneurship Training Programme to the SHG members form 20.02.2006 to 21.03.2006, GRU, Gandhigram.
- Organized a week long Literacy and Population Education Programmes in our Service Villages from 05.06.2006 to 11.06.2006.
- Organized Awareness Training Programme to the women field functionaries of NGOs in Tamil Nadu funded by the State Social Welfare Board, Chennai from 04.07.2006 to 13.07.2006, GUR, Gandhigram .
- Organized 15 day Fast Literacy training programme to the illiterate women at Moorthinaickenpatti Village from 26.07.2006 to 14.08.2006. 20 women participated in the programme.
- Organized 7 days Entrepreneurship Development Training Programme to the SHG members on 09.02.2007, GRU, Gandhigram. 50 women participated in the programme.
- Organized International Women’s Day on 22.03.2007, GRU, Gandhigram. 200 women’s attended the programme.
- Organized Exposure visit to Sri.Vekateswara and Padmavathi Women Universities, Tirupatti from 19.04.2007 to 23.04.2007. About 100 women visited Universities.
- Organized one day medical camp at Koramcombov Village, Kodaikanal on 22.07.2007. 200 men and women were examined and supplied medicine.
- Organized two days awareness Programme on "Pengalum Sattamum" to the SHG members on 31.08.2007. 200 women represented from Authoor, Dindigul, Nilakkottai, Battagundu, and Reddiarcharam Block Villages.
- Organized one day programme on Reproductive Health Education to the Secondary Courser of NIOS students on 07.02.2009. 130 students participated in the programme.
- Organized one day Programme on Reproductive Health Education to the Sr.Secondary Course of NIOS students on 14.02.2009. 128 students participated in the programme.
- Organized one day programme on Reproductive Health Education to the Ph.D research Scholars on 21.02.2009. 50 Scholars participated in the programme.
- Organized one day programme on Reproductive Health Education to the SHG members at Moorthinaickenpatti Village on 09.03.2009. 50 women participated in the programme.
- Organized training programme to the Nehru Yuva Sathese from 18.07.2009 to 22.08.2009 (5 batches) for Tamil Nadu and Puthucherry NYK Sangathan.
10. Short Term Courses / Symposium/ Conferences organized
- Organized one day workshop on National Integration and Religious harmony funded by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, New Delhi on 30.10.1990, GRU, Gandhigram.
- Organized one day workshop on the role of Women Police to rescue from Violence against women, Women Rights and Right to information Act on 21.03.2003 GRU, Gandhigram.
- Organized two days workshop on Evolving Strategies for marketing of SHG products on 15.12.2004 and 16.12.2004, GRU, Gandhigram.
- Organized International Workshop on Economy of Permanence and Dynamics of a Sharing Community from 25.07.2005 to 26.07.2005 funded by Folk Lora Movement, Italy.
- Organized one day workshop on problems identification of SHG members for promoting Entrepreneurship Development Programme on 01.02.2006, GRU, Gandhigram.
- State Level Seminar on Networking Strategies to Promote Continuing Education jointly organized by the State Resource Centre, Chennai and the Department of ACE &E, GRU, Gandhigram from 11.01.2006 to 12.01.2006.
11. Membership in Scientific Bodies / Association
- Life member of Indian Adult Education Association
- Board of Study members
12. Resource Person (Inaugural address / Guest Lecture : Chairman)
- District Nehru Yuva Kendra’s and NGO’s programme / Action plan review committee meeting / preparation of documentation/project proposal / research guidance.
- Served as resource person to the National Service Volunteers on 28.07.2009 organized by NYK, Trichy
13. Committee Member
- Physical Verification Committee member from 23.03.1995 to 02.03.1996.
- Board of Studies member in the Extension Education Department, GRU, Gandhigram from 22.04.2003 to 22.04.2006.
- Board of Studies member in the Applied Research Department, GRU, Gandhigram from 02.03.2005 to 07.03.2008.
- District Advisor committee member for NYK, Madurai District from 2009 to 2009
14. Administrative Experience
- Served as Assistant Coordinator in the Choice Based Credit System, Gandhigram Rural University, Gandhigram 23.11.1997 to 23.11.1998.
- Served as Secretary in the Gandhigram Rural University Faculty Forum from 12.01.2003 to 12.01.2006.
- Participated NIOS Coordinators and Academic Facilitators review meeting 25.07.2007 to 26.07.2007, Kochi, Kerala for future course of action.
- Serving as Director in the Information Development and Resource Agency for Nehru Yuva Kendra, Ministry of Youth and Sports, Govt. of India, New Delhi since 08.06.2009, Gandhigram Rural University, Gandhigram.
Velankannipura. – A Model Village
Vikas Vahini Volunteers Club organized at Velankannipuram. Financial Aid was sponsored by NABARD and operated by the Dept. of ACE & E, GRU and Canara Bank, Gandhigram. The Club was formally started functioning in August, 1995 with the funding support of Rs.3,00,000/- NABARD, Madras.
Out of 104 families, 30 families had loans to the tune of Rs.1.55 lakhs under Dairy Development, IRDP, MAP etc. The Village even though is only 6 kilometers from Gandhigram is not easily reachable even by four wheel drive Jeep. A small Village at the foot of sirumalai Hills does not have all weather and Jeepable tract and as a result of which the Communication links to and from the Village was very much restricted. Since the village is located at the foot of the sirumalai Hills the Social Forestry wing of the State Forest and the Dept. of ACE & E, GRU, took the initiative of entering into the Village with developmental objectives.
The following areas with measurable success
- Protecting the existing forest cover around the village
- Increasing the tree and green cover around the village
- The illicit liquor distillation practices have come to stop with the help of State police which created an outpost in a Village nearly.
- Illict tree cutting practice of the majority of the families for their livelihood has come down instead of arranged loan facilities for purchasing of milch animal (10 families) and sheep (20 families) under IRDP Scheme.
- Erected a small shed for the tiny of the Village to be taken care of in the Day Care Centre and Noon meal for the children was arranged with the support of collector, Dindigul.
- Self - Help Groups for women has been organized into a thrift cum savings cum credit group with potentials towards a micro-credit system. They have started saving at the rate of Rs.50/- per month. This groups has deposited Rs. 25, 000/- in the Canara Bank, Gandhigram. So far, it is being rotated among the members as informal credit.
- Loan dispersed by the Canara Bank, Gandigram under IRDP and other schemes were over due long back; with the persuasion, peer pressure and borrower education, the over due position has been reduced to 50% of the original and the flow of credit has been renewed with caution.
- With the help of Dr. M. S. Swaminathan foundation a multi – level awareness training programme cum activity for income generation through vegetative propagation of fruit bearing trees, seed production techniques, Bio-diversity, organic agriculture, presentation of crop pests and diseases.
- Identified 12 women and 5 men were tested and five were operated cataract and got power glass.
- A crèche with the active collaboration of State Welfare Board is being worked out with Community participation to cater to the needs of Children (started working from 02.02.1998). The villagers will pay every month Rs. 10/- per child along with the building maintenance cost. About 30 children have been enrolled.
- With help of Block Development officer a 20’ inches of colour TV has been given to this remote village.
- With the help of physics Dept, GRU. 20 smokeless chulahs were installed to the needy people.
- Under Continuing Education programme, 2 boys and 2 girls have been trained up in domestic wiring, Bore well repairing, tailoring, basket making and mushroom cultivation and they are on their own now.
- The Dept. of ACE & E has taken steps to extend the activities in the village to convert into a model village.
- Organized one day AIDS Awareness training programme to the SHG members on 10.11.2001.
- A two day training programme on Bio-diversity organized by the M.S.Swaminathan Research Foundation, Madras on 17.11.2001 to 18.11.2001
- Organized one day medical camp on 23.11.2001 at Vellodu, 200 personal examined and supplied medicines.
- With the help of KVK, GRU, Gandhigram, Tailoring, Pickles making Sambar masala and Sambu
- PRA meetings periodically initiating different types of action oriented programmes in the village especially in farm and non-farm sector.
- With help of Tamil Nadu Electricity Board, Dindigul 5 Street lights were installed.
- Regarding loan recovery part, frequently insisted the borrowers to regularly repay the loan amount without any break. From July to December 1999 all the bending loans were recovered from the borrowers. Again they obtained dairy loan from the Canara Bank, Gandhigram.
Meenakshipuram and Chattrapatti Villages
Helped to get free house pattas from District Adi-Dravidar Welfare officer, Dindigul to the Harijan Villages of Meenakshipuram and Chattrapatti. 30 free house pattas for Meenakshipuram and 60 pattas for Chattrapatti Village.
As part of its Extension programme, 31 Self – Help Groups has been formed in the name of Dr.TV.Soundaram Women Federation on 10.07.2001. 650 women enrolled as members. The members represented from Authoor, Dindigull, Nilakottai and Reddiarchatram block Villages.
Self Help Groups is a small homogeneous and cohesive group of rural poor Voluntarily formed to save amount of money regularly, to mutually agree to contribute to a common causes, to meet their emerging needs on mutual help basis, to promote collective decision-making, to resolve conflict through collective leadership etc.
Special Features of SHG programme
Savings is linked with credit
SHGs depend mostly on local resources generated from its members.
Participation of members as partners and not as clients.
Joint liability as a substitute for physical collateral.
Peer group principle for social homogeneity
Sound financial system and maintenance of records.
Credit plus approach.
Promotion of micro-enterprises.
Social and economic empowerment of women
Solving social issues.
Literacy programmes for group members.
Participation in Gram Sabha meetings.